Sunday, January 31, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There

Open Clipart Vectors, "Twitter Tweet Bird Funny Cute" 13/06/08 via pixabay
Public Domain Dedication License


1. What kinds of things do people on Twitter seem to be talking about, debating, arguing about or otherwise engaging in meaningful exchanges of ideas about? Give us a descriptive and clear sense of the kinds of stories you're seeing in these Twitter feeds.

Twitter feeds such as Young Entrepreneur talk about exactly what their handle implies: the account links daily to information pertinent to blooming entrepreneurs. Young Entrepreneur has a larger site staffed with multiple authors, and the articles these authors write are what the Twitter account links to. Management Information Systems accounts such as Capita SIMS Independent retweets awards its programs have won and events that they attend.

2. In your opinion, what are the two most interesting conversations or stories you found in the Twitter feeds? Hyperlink us to the two different Twitter feeds and explain why you found those conversations interesting. Be specific and honest and be yourself.

One of the most interesting stories I found on these twitter feeds discussed the pitfalls of attempting to market to everybody. I have heard this advice before in passing; In my Marketing Dynamics course in high school, my teacher discussed the importance of developing a target market. While appealing to every person is ideal in theory, and makes the most money, our resources are limited in a non-hypothetical situation. Setting the general population as a target market only sets a marketing plan up for failure, and it was assuring to see that large mediums focusing on marketing corroborate this statement.

The other story that caught my eye was an article/list promoting the importance of maintaining relationships, no matter how minor they may seem. This is another piece of business advice that has personal significance to me, as my sister and I discussed this very topic before I returned to school for the second semester of my first year of college.

She recounted being a beginning teacher and meeting the wife of a school district superintendent at a hair salon. While only a minor acquaintance, she kept in touch with her for over three years, and also socialized with her husband. During this time, my sister made waves in neighboring school districts, rising from a position as a teacher to a vice-principal, even having positions carved out specifically for her along the way.

Eventually, a position as a principal opened up in the superintendent's district, and because of her connections with this superintendent and his family, my sister's resume was brought to the top of the pile, and she got her foot in the door for an interview. She would go on to secure the position as principal. While she obtained the position on her own merits, it was the maintenance of social ties that opened up the opportunity for her in the first place. Seeing the importance of maintaining relations in text further emphasizes the conversation my sister had with me.


3. Overall, what impression do you get of your discipline based on what you saw happening on Twitter? Were the people in these feeds talking in ways you expected or did not expect, about things you anticipated they'd be talking about or things you had no idea they'd be discussing? Explain in concise specific detail.

The types of conversations I saw on the various Twitter feeds I explored were exactly what I anticipated. The accounts behaved in a professional manner and focused on issues pertaining specifically to the scope of the account. This is consistent with the image management skills for social networking services that I learned in my Management Information Systems course: posts should be brief and along the lines of the focus you promised for the followers of your account.

No comments:

Post a Comment