Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Writing Process

Unsplash, "Time Clock Watch Hour Countdown Minute" 13/01/23 via pixabay
Public Domain Dedication License

At this very moment, I am glancing at the clock on my desktop. It reads 6PM: Six hours until the deadline for this assignment. The circumstances I am in serve as re-affirmation that I fall into the archetype of a procrastinator.

I have been making attempts to branch out of the procrastinator archetype, however. Drawing inspiration from the sequential planner archetype, I began mapping out the milestones for my assignments last semester. For example, on a writing assignment such as a term paper, I spaced out the optimum number of completed pages over a manageable period of time.

The incorporation of sequential planner processes resulted in a smoother writing experience. I did not feel overwhelmed by the task, and felt as if I was always working with a blueprint, rather than creating a product from scratch. Not to misrepresent myself, but I must admit I didn't quite shake off my proclivity to procrastinate: my research, drafting, and revising of this term paper happened over a period of three days on the week of its due date, but these three stages were highly concentrated and evenly divided over this period. This resulted in a downside of missing classes and meals, but the planning that went into the writing allowed me a greater understanding and appreciation of the topic I researched.

A more concerted effort into a sequential planning method would be preferable. It would spare me from the stress and sacrifice that comes when a writer flirts with their deadlines. However, I would need to motivate myself and prepare at the inception of the project. The quality of the preparation that occurs there will lessen the burdens that may arise during the project's course.

No comments:

Post a Comment